Thursday, February 16, 2012

Taoism and Confucianism

I have read about these two different viewpoints for a while now but their differences still didn't seem clear to me.  Recently I referred back to previous readings and poked my nose into some new ones to figure out what are the differences between Taoism and Confucianism.  I found out that they disagree on several points on worldly functions and idealistic people within those functions.  


Confucianism                                                                                                                            Taoism

Tends to dislike nature                                      (nature)                                    Taoism finds beauty in nature

actions towards other people                  (Measurement in goodness)             The world should be left alone

providing food, arms, and trust               (Important to rule)                            Enjoy time, basic needs, untouched

No time away from society                   (Gaining Knowledge)                             Understanding oneself
_____
To me Taoism sounds more like Buddhism .  The whole idea of seeing things how they really are and understanding oneself is a larger factor for Buddhism and Taoism.  Confucianism is very strict about their lifestyles within a community.  I think that taoism would be much more beneficial to a society because the idea of being alway in with society for everything is going to drive people to riot.  That has already happened.  I'm glad i finally figured out how to distinguish the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment