Thursday, April 5, 2012
Apartheid Research
Before starting Cry Freedom, I didn't know too much about the Apartheid system. I honestly didn't know too much about South Africa besides that it was colonized by the British. Deciding to prompt myself with some information, I began my research on the Apartheid system. Apartheid was a racial segregation system constructed by the the South American Government. It was developed after World War II in 1948, and was abolished in 1994. All non-white government representers were kicked out, and not long after that all non-white citizens were stripped of their citizens. Because they no longer were allowed to be citizens in the cities, they were sent to live in tribally based homelands that were self-governed. Schools, work places, public services, and even benches became segregated and all inferior to those of white people. Because of this segregation, the country was split up into multiple states based on the Apartheid system that was being enforced. The acts of the Apartheid system sounds very alike to the Jim Crow laws. What is stunning to me is to look upon the Jim Crow laws and know it happened a long time ago and that racial injustice is not more but then to realize that something just like it ended only three years before I was born. I'm truly interested in this topic and discovering more reasons that it could have connected with Jim Crow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment